Monday, October 13, 2008

Experimenting with Second Life

My latest project for my class with JoAnne Hart at Lesley University has led me to research a world called Second Life. I had never heard about it before, I knew what an Avitar was and thought that Second Life was for all these people who didn't have a Real Life. What I didn't know was that there is a huge network of learning communities that is very useful to teachers of all levels for resources as well as professional development. Last Sunday I had the pleasure to run into Kathy Shrock's Avitar while exploring her Second Life platform LIGHTHOUSE LEARNING ISLAND, a collaborative professional learning community of K-12 educators. My colleague Julie and I had an extensive chat with Kathy about the realm of possibilities for learning and teaching and also simple logistics in Second Life. Click here to get a look at what I am rambling on about. SECOND LIFE

The first thing you have to do is create an Avatar and here is how it goes: You get to pick the gender, the clothing and create your look. Don't worry, you can change all that down to the gender later. Look for more on this soon.


No comments: