Monday, July 23, 2007

ADDITIONAL READINGS: POSTED ON 7-23-07

I read A FUTURE FICTION by David Warlick
Warlick, D. (2004) A Future Fiction. Library Media Connection.
Retrieved May 26, 2005 from http://davidwarlick.com/ff_article/

…and here is what I think about his little story:
I actually was quite amazed at the potential accuracy of the author’s predictions for education in the future. I was glad to see that education was taken to a higher level with the help of technology. Teacher and student tools seem to have developed into close to perfect networks of information distribution and processing resources. As far as the administration of the school is concerned, surveillance seems to have reached perfection.
If such a system were to be put in place, there would be no more “gray zone,” seemingly no more room for mistakes or forgiving thereof as every step a person takes is monitored and recorded. I find the complete lack of privacy a little disconcerting and at the same time comforting, if that makes any sense.
All the glitches seem to have been worked out and technology has become user-friendly and reliable. I would be very excited to be part of such a school in only seven years.

I also read the article THE ABCs OF WEBSITE EVALUATION
Schrock, K. (2002) The ABC’s of Web Site Evaluation: Teaching Media Literacy in the Age of the Internet. Classroom Connect.
Retrieved February 22, 2004 from http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/pdf/weval_02.pdf

…and here is what I think about this one:
This article is a list of resources to do the best job possible at evaluating a website It is not an actual article. I find it to be very useful and linked it to my blog as resource for my website evaluation assignment. I will also put it as link on my student blog so that they know what I know and what I expect them to do with their assignments . Setting standards and clear guidelines also will prevent problems with plagiarism.

1 comment:

Mary C Barkley said...

Claudia. Great blog.
I too read the Future fiction article and am eagerly awaiting its fruition. I am curious as to how we can make this happen. The community businesses, schools and politicians will all need to collaborate to make it work.